Tuesday 16 August 2016

Renovation project - Insulating a vaulted ceiling

Renovation project - Insulating a vaulted ceiling

The sun has still been shining and the temperatures have hit over 30 degrees on a daily basis. For me this was wonderful, I could write outside on our new terrace. But for poor John it has been agony.
He has been insulating the loft in the little house, this is a hot job at the best of times but in the heat it really was bad.
As we are having a vaulted roof, we had to ensure that the insulation keeps it warm but does not take up to much space. For this we have used the same insulation that we did in the main house. But you must ensure that there is a breathing space between the insulation and the roof and plaster board, if you do not, you could end up with problems later.
During the day, I had to call at a friend’s house and the sun was shining, the temperature was amazing and we sat there with a cold drink, looking at the beautiful view from her garden (I say garden it’s about 2 acres!).
I don’t want to go back to the house and start work again; this is why we moved here, for lazy days in the sun. I call John and ask if he wants to stop and come for lunch, but no, he wants to get this job out of the way, I try every persuasive tack I can think of, but the man is not for moving, he tells me to stay and enjoy myself, but there would be no way of driving home. Reluctantly I get my things and leave.
I realise I also have the lunch in the car and John will be starving by now. He is surprised when he sees me arrive back, but I am a supportive partner (inside I am growling a little bit) but still supportive, he needs to eat.
By the evening it is done, the insulation is in place and we are now ready for the plasterboard.
Insulating a vaulted ceiling

Insulating a vaulted ceiling

Insulating a vaulted ceiling
I am glad I came back (sort of) as we are now starting to see big differences, the light at the end of the tunnel is starting to shine a little brighter, maybe it’s brighter because I didn’t spend the day drinking wine in the sun or maybe it’s just that we are both determined to get the house finished for summer visitors, I guess we’ll never know

No comments:

Post a Comment