Friday 29 April 2016

Renovation project - Recycling marble

Renovation project - Recycling marble
We found an old piece of marble in the little house and wondered if we could use it in any way.
John has suggested making a window sill with it for the bathroom, I am really not sure about this, but often John will have an idea that sounds dreadful, but works out fantastic, so I leave him to it.
He measures the size he needs and puts the outline in masking tape, he then uses a large grinder to cut the shape.
recycling marble in France

recycling marble in France
He removes the tiles he had put on the window sill and fits the new marble in place, I am now glad I didn't say what I really thought about it, as it does look fantastic.
He also adds a bit to the end of the bath, and again this improves the look of the bathroom but also improves the functionality as there are no little cuts required in the tiles.
recycling marble in France
I have been chatting to somebody new on the blog, they have just bought a property in our village and we have arranged to meet up.
They call to visit and have a look around our house and because I am so nosey, I make sure that I can go and have a look at their house.
We spend a couple of hours chatting about renovations and blogs, Jane and Mike have one of the most popular blogs I have ever come across and they are so nice, they are also the same age as we are, so we will have some new friends with plenty in common. This is one of the things I love about blogging, I get to meet some fantastic people and here in France some of our closest friends have been met through the blog, even John does not Freak any more about me inviting strangers from the internet to our house.
The blog  FRUGAL QUEEN  is all about Frugal living based in Cornwall and Huelgoat, this is not something that I knew a lot about, but the blog has some really informative posts and advice and the most fantastic recipes.

That evening we go for dinner with the people who bought our old house, we have a great time and it is nice to know that nearly a year later they still are friends and are happy to go for dinner with us

4 comments:

  1. I do like the marble in the window but I would have been a bit like you and probably said something but as you say it looks lovely once in, I too follow the Frugal Queen and find her blog so helpful although I have always been frugal with food, it's nice to put a face to a name though hey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Roz, I have now started to see what happens before I question or say no :)

      Delete
  2. I can't believe he pulled that off! Chapeau! We have countertops made from local marble and cutting it required a special saw that used water to keep it from overheating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. our marble was not very thick so is not a problem with a really good diamond blade, it wears the blade out more quickly if you do not use a water saw

      Delete